Time is up, on 22nd June 2019, the Picós phenomenon, Caribbean Colombian Coast sound systems, invades Toulouse at Mix’Art Myrys!
As a follow-up to the French ‘fête de la musique’, several Toulousians communities offer to bring you on board of an immersive trip through the popular urban culture of the Colombian coast.
1. EVENT OVERVIEW
Firstly, let me give you an event overview:
– la maquina musical del Caribe (the musical Caribbean machine),
– the live graff painting with Latino Graff,
– a music set compiled by DJ Galletas Calientes and local DJ No Breakfast. They are meeting for the first time on stage!
2. DJs PRESENTATION
Secondly, let’s talk about the tropical DJ Galletas Calientes (Colombia/France) coming directly from the Caribbean Colombian Coast for everyone’s delight!
►►Galletas Calientes Records label creator, he honours us as a DJ within the ‘Mas I Mas’ Parisian community since the middle of the 1990s. Techno/Drum and bass DJ at first, he is also currently interested in the traditional folk and electro music fusion…
Since he lives in Colombia, his music culture is enhanced with Latin and tropical rhythms. He collaborates with labels and artists at the forefront of the Colombian stage such as:
- Systema Solar,
- Meridian Brothers,
- Palenque Records,
- Sonidos Enraizados…
For this festival, he offers you a trip through frenzied rhythms around a set coming directly from the best Picós of the Colombian Caribbean Coast!
And with him, the unmissable and legendary local DJ No Breakfast we no longer introduce due to his reputation of vinyl’s digger and music nights entertainer in the pink town of Toulouse.
►► DJ No Breakfast offers us a wonderful Caribbean set on his vinyl collector discs.
Then let’s move on to a more detailed programme.
►► 7 pm:
- ‘Champeta’ dance entertainment by Anika. Champeta is a Caribbean Colombian Music of African influence. I’m afraid I do not have videos of this, as I came to the event at 9 pm. But I have filmed their music performance!
- ‘Hasta Abajo!’ is a series of street posters at the image of the Picó nights announcers. They are produced by the photographer Leslie Moquin in partnership with Locombia Festival.
►► 9 pm: The ‘Picó’ documentary: the Caribbean music machine. It is about the ‘Picó’ culture, sound system from the Colombian Caribbean coast.
It is worth noting the film is a finalist at the Sundance London Film and Music Festival 2019. This highly recommended film has been produced by Roberto de Zubiria and Sergio Zaraza.
►►10.30 pm: DJs sets start
►►12 pm: Video Mapping by Felipe Vargas, the Caribbean Mapper:
4. PRACTICAL INFORMATION
Thirdly, here is the overall programme of the main events:
- 7-9 pm: Doors opening and Latino Graff Walls
- 9 pm: Film screening
- 10 pm: Champeta music
- 10.30pm: DJ sets start
- 12 pm: Video mapping.
Furthermore, please take note of the festival location:
Mix’Art Myrys, Rue Ferdinand Lasalle 43, Toulouse.
Also, what else to find?
- refreshment and catering areas
- market stalls of Colombian Caribbean souvenirs such as these dolls:
5. Organisers and partners
Finally, a big thank you to all the following partners who made this festival possible!
- Mix’Art Myrys
- Guayabo Colectivo
- Locombia Festival
- Talowa Productions
- Latino Graff
- Alliance Française de Bogotá
- Latin American and Caribbean week 2019.