I have come across few people not knowing how to link and use both Facebook and Instagram, including the Instagram ads. Consequently, I have decided to write a series of blog posts on their different functionalities and features.
First of all, f you don’t know it yet, Facebook has bought Instagram, amongst other social media and messaging applications.
So, if you want to get the best of the two worlds, I highly recommend you to have both a Facebook fan page and an Instagram account.
By having a Facebook fan page, you will be able to add a tab for your Instagram posts directly into the page. But more importantly, you must know that you can only advertise on Instagram if you have a Facebook fan page. The Instagram advertising, however, will be the subject of a different post.
Before delving into the conversation about cross-platforms’ ads, let me explain to you how you can add Instagram to your facebook page.
Quite obviously, the first step is to have set up your personal Facebook account. Once done, you will need to create a Facebook fan page. To set a Facebook fan page, follow these guidelines.
Once you have set up your fan page, you will have the opportunity to add a tab to your page displaying all your Instagram posts, comments, likes…
So, let me guide through the process. Please make sure you follow the steps so that your tab is correctly installed and working.
The first series of steps will be completed on your mobile phone through the Instagram and Facebook applications. These steps may take a bit more time to follow than the next stage on Facebook.
- Go to your Instagram account and log in. Once done, click on these 3 little dots (…) on the top right-hand corner of your profile.
2. Once there, you will come to this ‘options‘ page. You will need to scroll down, go to the ‘Settings‘ section of the menu and click on ‘Linked Accounts‘.
3. Click on ‘Facebook’ and ‘Continue’. You will then get that page, where you will be prompted to log into Facebook.
For you to link Facebook and Instagram from your mobile phone, you will have to download both Facebook and Instagram applications from your App Store or Play store.
The easiest way here is to click on ‘Log in with the Facebook App‘, then ‘Open’.
4. You are now prompted to log into your Facebook account.
5. And authorise Facebook to link your Facebook and Instagram account by clicking ‘Authorise‘ or ‘Continue‘. In my case, I had already done that process, so I’m getting the continue prompt.
6. Authorising the linkage between the accounts will bring you back to the Instagram application confirming your linked accounts. However, at this time, the accounts that are linked are your Facebook and Instagram personal accounts.
7. To link your Instagram account to your Facebook fan page, you will need to click on ‘Facebook‘ and will come to this page. Click on the arrow (>) next to Timeline (Default).
8. You will then have the option to select your fan page.
Once you have done that, you can log out of these applications and go to your laptop or PC. The next steps will be all through the Facebook’s site.
- Log into your Facebook account and type in’Instatab‘ and select ‘Apps‘ in the menu under the navigation bar. Then click on the ‘Use Now‘ button.
2. You will arrive on this page. Select ‘Install Application!‘.
4. Then, select in the drop-down menu (click on the downward pointing arrow) your own page name and click on the ‘Add Page Tab‘ button.
5. It will then redirect you to your fan page and add the tab to customise (see on the left-hand side column). Click on ‘Instagram’ to bring you to set up page.
6. Fill the blank space under ‘Instagram name‘ with your Instagram account name (not your URL and do not place an @ sign before). Then select your chosen ‘Default view mode‘. Once finished, click on ‘Save settings‘ below your stats’ graph.
Et voilà! You now have your Facebook and Instagram account linked and a tab created on your Facebook fan page!
7. I have selected ‘Small’ in ‘Default View’ and this is how it looks. Remember that you can always change the ‘Default View‘ style by clicking on ‘Application settings‘, selecting the ‘Default View’ you like and saving your settings.
I hope you found this post useful! If you think it may be helpful to someone else, do not hesitate to share it!